Hair fall is one of the most common problems faced by almost everyone irrespective of age. Hair grows almost everywhere in our body, most of the time they are invisible since they are very fine and tiny.
The hair follicles in the peripheral layer of our skin produce a protein in abundance called keratin which is what the hair is made up of. The string of dead keratin cells is those that are seen as hair.
An average adult loses up to 100 hairs per day, and the scalp in total consists of about 100,000 to 150,000 hair strands. Losing a few of them is quite normal and is not necessarily cause for alarm. In this blog, we are going to discuss various types of hair loss, the reasons for it, and the natural remedies for it.
WHAT ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF HAIR LOSS/ALOPECIA??
There are many types of it as follows:
- Androgenic alopecia: it affects both men and women and is a genetic condition. Usually, men can begin to have this condition in their teens or early 20s. Commonly known as male pattern baldness
- Involutional alopecia is a natural condition seen with growing age in which the hair slowly thins. The hair starts becoming lessened in number and shorter as well since more hair follicles will go into a resting phase.
- Alopecia areata often burst out abruptly and cause loss of hair in patches. It's seen in both children and young adults. Sometimes this condition may lead to complete loss of hair or baldness.
- Alopecia Universalis: it is a condition that leads to the loss of all body hair by falling out including the eyebrows, eyelashes, and pubic hair.
- Trichotillomania: It is seen frequently in children, and is a psychological disorder in which a person pulls out one's hair due to mental health issues.
- Telogen effluvium: It is seen as a part of changes in the growth cycle of hair, which causes temporary hair thinning over the scalp.
- Scarring alopecias: It is characterized by the permanent loss of hair due to the loss of the ability of hair to regenerate. Inflammatory skin and other skin disorders often result in scars that lead to this condition.
What are the Reasons for Hair Loss ??
There is not a particular and exact reason that health experts can figure out why certain fair follicles have shorter growth when compared to others. However, many factors may influence hair growth and hair loss:
- HORMONES -altered levels of hormones (androgens) produced in both males and females can lead to alterations in hair growth.
- GENES- Both males and females have a genetic predisposition to pattern baldness which they inherit from their parents.
- STRESS, ILLNESS, AND CHILDBIRTH- this can lead to temporary loss of hair. Improper and balanced diets also cause hair loss.
- DRUGS- The drugs used in chemotherapy or cancer treatment, beta-blockers used in hypertension, blood thinners for cardiovascular disorders, and birth control pills leading to altered hormonal levels can cause temporary hair loss.
- BURNS, INJURIES, AND X-RAYS- This can lead to temporary hair loss. Unless there is a scar or delayed healing usually hair growth comes back to normal range.
- COSMETIC PROCEDURES- use of many products which are filled with chemicals and sulfate compounds may lead to unhealthy hair. Shampooing too often, coloring, bleaching, and dyeing hair can contribute to overall hair thinning by making hair follicles brittle. Use of hair dryers or rollers or hot curlers, running hair packs, and braiding too tight, tight curls can as well lead to damage and breaking hair.
- MEDICAL CONDITIONS- Thyroid disease, lupus, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, eating disorders, and anemia can cause hair loss. It is important to find out the root cause and etiology of hair loss, hence the underlying condition has to be diagnosed and treated.
- DIET- A low-protein or severely calorie-restricted diet which doesn’t have a fully balanced vitamin diet can also cause temporary hair loss. Get information about foods that can help prevent hair loss and foods that help stimulate hair growth.
How to prevent hair fall with natural remedies?
1. Egg Mask
Eggs are one of the richest sources of proteins, which have plenty of sulfur, phosphorus, selenium, iodine, zinc, and other proteins, which are required in promoting hair growth thereby reducing hair loss.
They not only help in hair growth, but they also help in overall better health.
2. Licorice Root
This root contains components that soothe the scalp as well as get rid of flakes of dry scalp or dandruff that are present on the scalp or hair root thus helping in reducing and minimizing hair loss and any other kind of damage.
3. Green Tea
It's known for its high content of antioxidants. These help in increasing hair growth and thereby preventing the damage occurring to hair follicles
4. Beetroot Juice
Beetroot is rich in vitamins C and B6, folate, manganese, betaine, and potassium, all of these are required for healthy hair and its good growth. Not only that it acts as a detoxification agent by keeping the scalp clean and healthy and is also known to decrease the fat and cholesterol levels.
5. Greek Yogurt and Honey
- Mix 1 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons of yogurt/curd with lemon in a container.
- Using a hair or dye brush, apply this paste uniformly to the roots and scalp gently.
- Wash it off after about 20 to 30 minutes with warm water.
- It is advised to apply this paste once or twice a week
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a very effective solution for hair loss and to increase hair growth. This can be used by extracting the pulp of aloe vera from the stalk of it and gently applying to the scalp and leaving it for about 30-45 minutes. Rinse it off with normal water. For better results, it is advised to apply this 3 -4 times a week.
7. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek or Methi seed is one of the most ancient and effective ways to reduce hair loss. It helps in the re-growth of the hair by repairing the hair follicles and hair roots.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds for about 6 to 8 hrs in water.
- Grind it into a fine paste and apply it.
- Cover your scalp with a shower cap to keep it moist.
- Leave it for 30 to 40 minutes, and later rinse it with normal water.
- Do it 2 to 3 times a week for a month to control hair fall and see the results.
8. Onion Juice
The sulfur content improves the circulation of blood to the hair follicles and roots while the antibacterial properties of onions help fight against scalp infections and dandruff.
Get the onion juice by grinding the onion and then squeezing out the juice.
- Dip a cotton ball in the onion juice and apply it to your scalp gently.
- Leave it on for 20 - 30 minutes and then wash it off using normal water and a mild shampoo if required
Indian Gooseberry or Amla is another ancient and effective home remedy to prevent hair fall. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and exfoliating properties, amla helps promote faster growth of hair, maintain a healthy scalp and prevent premature greying, and maintain hair color.
- Start by mixing lime juice and the amla powder to make a fine paste.
- Apply it to your scalp and hair massage gently.
- Leave it for an hour and then rinse it off with normal water.
Keeping the home remedies in view and considering the requirements of the youth and adult public, We the team of Herbscience have come up with the following efficient products for the best hair care for our customers.
Hair Nourishing Pro-V KERATIN SHAMPOO
- Deep Cleansing
- Hair Growth
Replenishing PRO-V KERATIN HAIR CONDITIONER
- Hair Conditioning
- Promotes Hair Growth
- Prevents Hair Loss
Nourishing PRO-V KERATIN HAIR OIL
- Promotes Hair Growth
- Prevents Hair Loss
- Boosts Natural Hair Color
Hair loss is one of the major issues faced by almost everyone irrespective of age. It occurs due to various reasons as described above. But by taking adequate care, a healthy lifestyle, and the use of natural products devoid of chemical components, hair can be maintained healthily.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What are the factors that alter hair growth?
Many factors play potentially a vital role in influencing the rate of hair growth. A few of them are age, sex, nutrition, underlying systemic conditions, stress, hormones, etc.
- Do fenugreek seeds help in hair growth?
Yes !! It is one of the most effective methods to control hair fall. Using the paste as a hair mask twice a week boosts hair growth.
- How important is the role of nutrition in hair loss?
Intake of the right amount of nutrients and a balanced diet is important for fair overall health and hair growth and also maintenance of healthy hair. Severely deficit protein diets or low-calorie intake is known to cause hair loss.
- What are natural remedies to increase hair growth?
There are several ways to promote hair growth. A few of them include
- Consuming a balanced diet
- Use of natural products for the maintenance
- Using aloe vera gel or a hair mask
- Avoiding stress and maintaining overall health
- How to stop hair fall?
If you want to stop the loss of hair, we need to prioritize a diet high in healthy proteins, Omega-3 fatty acids, and fresh fruits and vegetables which means an overall healthy diet.